Saturday 7 July 2012

Emedinews:Inspiration:I Can’t, I Can


An Inspirational Story
(Ms Ritu Sinha)

I know that motivational speakers and therapists discourage the use of the phrase, "I can’t". They think it is too negative. But it’s true, I really can’t! Sure, there are occasions when I can respond with a hearty "I can!" For example, I can brush my teeth. I can make a cheese sandwich. I can cuddle up with my dogs.

However, when it comes to the really big and important things, it seems that I have to respond with, "I CAN’T!" It’s less of being negative than it is of being absolutely truthful. I CAN’T change a person’s heart. I CAN’T feed all the hungry children in my neighborhood. I CAN’T mend a soul that’s been wounded. I CAN’T fill an unloved person with love. My hands are too weak. I can’t. My heart is too timid. I can’t. My will is too distracted. I can’t. I can’t. I can’t! It is then that I find the verse Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthened me." All things? I can do things bigger than making a cheese sandwich? If I believe that verse is true, and I do, then I CAN!

More accurately, WE CAN! I don’t mean you the reader and me the writer. I mean Jesus and I CAN. I mean Jesus and you CAN. I really mean Jesus, you and I CAN! It is not conventional to announce one’s weakness. Usually we try to hide them. When it comes to Christ, something amazing happens when we acknowledge and broadcast our own weakness. Consider 2 Corinthians 12:9–10 "And he said unto me, my grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (10) Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

When I stand out in the yard, and tell God and the world how weak I am, all of a sudden it is like my shirt changes to a superhero shirt, and I am wearing a red cape. With God in charge, I truly CAN DO ALL THINGS! So can you!

Jesus said in Matthew 17:20 "…for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you." I guess it is a good thing that I like the mountains just where they are!

When you and I allow Jesus to take charge of our hands, He will do truly amazing and impossible things with them. Things that are so tremendous that our imaginations aren’t big enough to picture them before they happen.

Has God been calling for you? Has He asked you for your hands and obedience? Have you responded with, "I can"t." or "I am too weak."? Have you answered, "Not me God, pick someone stronger, more qualified."? Good. We honestly can’t. We are honestly too weak. We are woefully under qualified. Now let God fill you, your heart and your hands, and get prepared to do great things. Be prepared to watch God use your hands to change hearts and minds. Be ready to be awed as God uses your hands to feed the hungry and love the unloved. Be ready to be touched as God uses your hands to bandage wounded souls.

James 4:7a, "Submit yourselves therefore to God." Then fasten your seatbelt, because God is going to do something great!

No comments:

Post a Comment